Students need to be self-directed learners who “select, manage, and assess their own learning activities” and are given the freedom to pursue learning “at any time, in any place, through any means, at any age.” Teachers would “emphasize skills, processes and systems instead of content coverage and tests.” So how can this be done?
The article listed three essentials:
- Learning must move from teacher-centered to student-centered – this isn’t a new concept in education but how many teachers really know what this means and how to accomplish this in the classroom?
- Students must take charge of their own learning – again not a new concept, but how many students want to be in charge of their own learning? How do we create an environment where students want to be involved learners?
- Assessments must be formative and summative – formative assessments provide feedback to the students by addressing learning gaps showing teachers where to re-teach concepts. Summative assessments show the proficiency level reached by the student.
- Create – teacher created multimedia lessons – hands on, collaborative learning activities
- Teach – keep students focused on the lesson and learning
- Learn – allow students time to collaborate, interact with the materials and create meaning from the lesson
- Assess – formative assessments giving students feedback throughout the lesson – re-teaching and providing additional materials as needed
Project-Based Learning outline from Wikipedia:
- Organized around an open-ended Driving Question or Challenge – (Create)
- Creates a need to know essential content and skills – (Teach)
- Requires inquiry to learn and/or create something new – (Learn)
- Requires critical thinking, problem solving, collaboration, and various forms of communication – (Learn)
- Allows some degree of student voice and choice – (Learn)
- Incorporates feedback and revision – (Assess)
- Results in a publicly presented product or performance – (Assess)
Six Steps for Planning a Successful Project
- Develop a compelling topic that covers state standards - (Create)
- Develop or design a comprehensive final product that each student will have a role in creating - (Create & Learn)
- Involve professional organizations and professionals from the community to connect the academic study with the real world - (Teach & Learn)
- Identify and organize the major learning resources (Teach & Learn)
- Coordinate calendars and allow enough time for each component to be done well - (Learn)
- Plan a final experience or culminating event - (Assess)
Project-Based Learning Links
Project-Based Learning for the 21st Century- http://www.bie.org/
Project-Based Learning from Edutopia - http://www.edutopia.org/project-based-learning
Project-Based Learning - http://pbl-online.org/
Problem-Based Learning - http://livebinders.com/play/play/19470
Build Project-Based Learning Checklists and Evaluations - http://pblchecklist.4teachers.org/checklist.shtml
To read the article Transforming Education: